A Shipping Method manages a set of information and rules that determines the shipping cost and displays it on the front-end site while a customer checks out an item from his/her shopping basket. The shipping fee is added to the total price of the purchase.
A shipping method is mapped to a Shipping Provider visible to a back-end administrator in Commerce Manager. This allows the public site to display friendly names such as "Ground Shipping" to the customer and this is mapped to a provider such as UPS. Therefore, when a customer picks "Ground Shipping," he/she will be using UPS.
Customizing Shipping Methods
There are two Shipping Methods available out of the box for you to customize: Ground Shipping and Fixed Shipping.
To customize the Shipping Methods, first go to Administration > Order System > Shipping > Shipping Methods > English (United States) or any other languages.
At the Shipping Methods List screen, select the edit icon for either of the available methods. The Overview tab screen for Shipping Method Edit will load with the below fields:
- ID - this is auto-generated after saving the new shipping method
- Name - enter in a name without spaces or special character; this name will not be displayed in the public site, but is only for end users to manage and organize the shipping methods
- Friendly Name - enter a friendly name which can have spaces and special character; the friendly name is the name seen by customers who are purchasing items
- Description - enter a description (optional)
- Provider - select an available provider from the drop-down menu; the options displayed here are created in the Shipping Providers screen (Generic Gateway is for a fixed shipping fee specified below under base price, while Weight/Jurisdiction Gateway is used for a shipping fee depended on the weight and shipping location)
- Language - select a language of your choice from the drop-down menu
- Base Price - the base price you specify here will become the fixed shipping fee for the Generic Gateway option, and part of the Weight/Jurisdiction Gateway option.
- IsActive - select Yes or No under IsActive to enable is disable it, respectively
- IsDefault - select Yes or No if this shipping method is the default one
- Sort Order - enter a number for the sort order to determine its position on the list of shipping methods
The Settings tab is used to exclude any Countries, Regions, and Payments from a particular shipping method.
To exclude a selection, highlight the items on the Available boxes on the left and move them to the Chosen Countries boxes by clicking Add.
The Parameters tab is use to set conditions to determine the shipping fee. This screen become available only when the Weight/Jurisdiction Gateway is select in the Provider field in the Overview tab (it will be empty with the Generic Gateway option).
- Jurisdiction Group - select a jurisdiction group to apply the current Shipping Method using the drop-down menu; the options listed here are set up in the Shipping Jurisdictions and Shipping Jurisdiction Groups screen.
- Weight - enter a numerical value for the weight; units for the weight is set in the Common Settings screen
- Price - enter a price to be added to the base price (Overview tab) when the weight and jurisdiction group conditions are met.
- Start Date - enter a start date and time for the shipping method to take effect
- End Date - enter a end date and time for the shipping method to expire
When finish entering the values above, select Add to save the condition. The condition will appear on table below. In the above example, if the customer checks out an item that weights anywhere between 0 to 10 weight units (lbs for example), and the customer's shipping address is in the United States, then the total shipping fee will equal $10 + the base price you enter in the overview screen.
Click OK to save changes.
Deleting Shipping Methods
- Check off the box that corresponds to the shipping methods you want to delete.
- Click on the More Actions button on the upper left corner of the main window menu bar, and choose Delete from the pull down menu.
- Click OK when prompted. The selected methods will be deleted from the list.
Version: EPiServer Commerce 1 R2 SP2| Last updated: 2012-06-29 | Copyright © EPiServer AB | Send feedback to us